Monday, February 25, 2008

RA Re-write

I have improved my writing a since I have been in this class. It has not been the easiest thing I have done but I have put in the time and I hope to continue to improve. I am fixing errors that I would normally skip without the extra time and help for this class. I still have errors that need to be fixed and simple things that I need to pay more attention to, like comma errors and spaces where there should not be, but I am getting the hang of recognizing my most common mistakes.


One area that I need to work on is the Language use and Mechanics section. I used slang in the first paragraph, I said grad instead of graduate. I still have too many errors on pages, some of which are simple and can be fixed for my next paper. I also need to work on my sentence clarity. I need to elaborate more and explain myslef throughly. Sometimes in my paper I describe something with the littlest explantion of what I am talking about. I need to be specific and get my point across in more depth. It will make my papers more specific and add clarity to them. I still have some punctuation errors, mostly with commas. The more I write and read the easier it is becoming for me to notice where and where not to put a comma.

Another area that I need to work on is the Rhetorical triangle and appeals. I do express all three areas but I could have done a better job at really describing what I was talking about. I should have used more example and visual imagery. I touched every aspect of the triangle but some were more difficult to give examples, and some I should have given more to really get my point across.

When I wrote this paper I started with my thesis. That way I had the main three things that I was planning on talking about. When I wrote my paper I knew what I was going to talk about and then after I had the main ideas I could add aditional quotes and ideas to make the paper more interesting to read. After I added the quotes and the ideas to make my paper interesting, I edited my paper for mistakes. Then I gave it to a few friends to look at and edit.

For my next paper I am going to do my best by trying to have no errors in my paper. I do not want to be marked down for simple things that I can prevent. I really want to improve more areas in my writing and do well in this class.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

You are not the only one who has to put considerable efforts in this class to be successful. There are so many things you have to pay attention in order to hand in a good or at least acceptable and respectful paper and that there are numerous things someone needs to pay attention too. With regards to your problems concerning punctuation and spelling mistakes I realized that the spell-check function in word can be a blessing but is definitely not enough since spell-check does not find comma errors and certain words. In order to work on the language use and mechanics section, it is sometimes good if you try to read more books or even the newspapers. I know reading can sometimes be pretty boring and seemingly redundant, especially if you have to read certain books or newspaper articles which are not of great interest to you; however it will slowly but surely improve the way you articulate yourself. Additionally, it makes me feel better that I am not the only one in our class that has problems and mistakes in this section and I am pretty confident that if we work hard we can fix our punctuation and spelling mistakes….

Lafonda said...

I definitely feel as though my writing has improved since the beginning of this class as well. I also struggle with mechanics in my paper. I think it will be interesting to look back on our first paper from this class and compare to our final paper!